Becoming an Expert Witness
This course helps you understand what an expert witness is and what their duties and how to prepare to testify and defend your report and opinion as an expert witness, yourself.
This course will enable you to
- Understand what is expected from an expert witness
- Prepare to give evidence in court
- Know how you can qualify as an expert witness
- Understand witness liability
About the course
An expert witness is someone with specialised training and/or experience, who is allowed to testify in court to help the judge or jury understand complicated or technical subjects. Expert witnesses should be capable of turning the tables on an opposing lawyer by showing expertise, their command of the facts, and their ability to communicate and defend their opinions.
This course defines what an expert witness is, what their duties are.
You can work through activities to improve your skills as an expert witness and prepare to testify and defend your report and opinion.
- Becoming an expert witness
- Expert witnesses distinguished from lay witnesses
- What lawyers look for in an expert witness
- Qualifying as an expert witness
- Court-appointed expert witnesses
- Preparing to testify as an expert witness
- Expert reports
- Working papers
- Testifying as an expert witness
- Conduct in court
- Preparing for questioning
- Preparing to testify
- Testifying at trial and cross-examination
- Witness immunity
- Bases for liability
You might also like
Take a look at some of our bestselling courses